Sunday, December 9, 2007

Oh, yes, Fatherhood

I teach "Daddy Boot Camp" at Foothills Hospital, in Boulder, CO. I have 3-4 hours to cover a mandatory curriculum on: living with a pregnant spouse; the delivery day(s) of the baby; the first three (3) months of life with baby(ies) and post delivery spouse for the new, expectant father, to expect.

Near the end of the class, the expectant father's eyes glazed over, if I am lucky, I remember the most important item. I tell them. Being a father is heaven on earth. The love of your child, time together, is priceless. To repose on the sofa with your child sleeping on you is among the greatest joy's available to us on this earth. When we raise our own children, we may, when necessary, if necessary, unwrinkle kinks from our childhood, 'right' some wrongs.

We may, ENJOY our children. We may, be dad.

No comments: