Monday, February 4, 2008

2 Blue


I got to play the Game of Life last night with my 7 year old. As we started out, and I got to the STOP: GET MARRIED space, I went for the pink peg to add to my car, and STOPPED.

Why not use this little space in this Game of Life to bridge a discussion on homosexual lifestyle? "Can I be two men?" I asked her. "Sure" she replied, "My friend at school has two moms. One is 'Mom'. and one is 'Momma.'

It seems I was bridging to myself, my seven year old had been down this life course. "What will you pick?" I asked her. "Hmmm", she said, initially going for another pink for her car, but then considering. "I will close my eyes and pick", she said, and got a blue peg to join her pink one, totally at random. "I like that", she said, "You know I have Nedda." Nedda is a boy from the Netherlands she is friends with.

That was it for this topic that game. We had lots of other Life issues to deal with, car accidents, insurance, buying a home. 'How', I wondered as our two cars inched farther down the game of life, 'Do other parents, if they do, bridge the issue of sexuality to their kids?' Some I fear may with disdain for same sex couples, and how sad for the next generation if they are exposed to old hatred and fears. Not discussing does not seem a healthy alternative either, its here, as it ever has been, as long as we have been human. Unless your pegged in Iran, where they have no Homosexuals.

No comments: