Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Master Coach Training, Denver, April 24th & 25th



I was blessed to attend Daddy Boot Camp Master Coach Training with other boot camp coaches from all over America at St. Joseph Hospital in Denver, CO this April.

This intensive two day immersion in Boot Camp principles included a live Boot Camp on the second day, where I and other coaches got a rare chance to step back and simply watch some of the most experienced boot camp coaches at work, and it was an eye-opener.

What I'm learning is the MORE time I spend coaching boot camp, the LESS I should be doing as a coach. In the classroom, at least. Nothing is more important than getting veteran fathers together with expectant fathers, and simply letting it happen. I've talked with teachers both in boot camps and in other fields and hear this over and over: 'The more time I 'teach', the more its about creating a learning space, not about me." Once these skilled coaches got these groups together, they did the unthinkable: nothing. They stepped back, and let the process happen.

Now back in Boulder County training new coaches and coaching Daddy Boot Camp classes, I'm spending more time on email and the phone making sure we have not just one or two, but three, four, or more veteran dads with their babies coming to Boot Camp Classes. Why more? Just having a 3 week baby and a 3 month baby together with their dads, for new fathers to see the amazing change and how to handle these two ages; what is going to happen to their newborn so quickly, brings a new perspective on handling these tough but special early days soon gone forever. If we can bring these men together to share their experiences and ask their questions, I will also do the unthinkable: Nothing.

No comments: